Problems With Duplex Scaling Of Pearl River Grands?

Andrew and Rebeca Anderson anrebe at sbcglobal.net
Sun Aug 19 07:09:20 MDT 2007

Rex,
Firm test blows will usually render enough tension through the bridge
pins to the rear duplex to bring it up to tension and into the
designed tune.  Mind you the rear duplex is not usually perfectly
tuned and that on purpose to avoid zingers.  On new pianos that
usually is sufficient.  Some pianos coming from China have been
exposed to rather caustic air and may have some corrosion at the
contact points to overcome.  I don't know if Pearl River is one of
these where adequate precautions have been taken to prevent this.  I
am aware that Geneva International (Nordiska and Weinbach) goes to
great lengths to prevent corrosion of piano strings because of
quality control problems that cropped up.

Essentially the technique involves pulling the speaking length
significantly over pitch and then tightening hitch-pin loops,
straightening the wire path from the hitch-pin to the bridge pin,
massaging the speaking length wire to pass tension back through the
pins towards the hitch pins, gentle seating on the duplex bar and
then gentle (!) tightening of the curve from the rear bridge pin to
the hitch pin.  Follow that by gently tightening the front curve off
of the bridge pin, tuning the speaking length down to pitch and
levelIing the strings.  Where there is a front duplex gently
tightening the curve on the non-speaking side of the capo and on the
duplex bars will improve the sound there too.  I've noted that most
affordable new pianos need some of this basic string-voicing done
including string levelling up front and hammer shaping before they
start to sound decent (especially lower tension scales).

Depending on how well a neglected piano responds to a pitch
correction, I usually do some string voicing with a large pitch
correction to get the piano sounding good again.  Again this can be a
function of corrosion on the contact points that is difficult to
overcome by firm test blows.

Part of keeping pianos cheap is passing off the fine work to the
dealer technician.  If Steinway does it, why shouldn't all the other
less accomplished piano makers do it too?  Of-course that means a lot
of things can slip past quality control but ultimately the dealer and
the dealer technician are the final quality control agents and they
vote with their dollars; behind them is the customer facing the
Yankee dictum, "Buyer Beware."

YMMV,
Andrew Anderson, a Technician Dealer