Problems With Duplex Scaling Of Pearl River Grands?

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sun Aug 19 20:37:12 MDT 2007

I'm not sure I agree Terry. In your last post to Andrew you state

    "When we "detune" a front or backscale, don't we specifically try to
    avoid a fractional length of that note's speaking length to quiet
    the front and/or backscales?"

which implies it DOES make a "whit" if the back duplex is tuned to a
specific relationship to the speaking length.  Once accepted that
certain relationships to the speaking result cause clear and predictable
acoustic results... you are immediately into a judgement call as to
whether the results are desirable or not.

Strikes me that manufacturers are all out to make things as cost
effective as possible... if the whole basic back duplex idea was totally
ridiculous to begin with... no amount of marketing can account for the
fact that so many manufacturers are wasting so much time, money and
resources putting them in.  Another thing... when I stop to think about
it.... I dont see any data supporting the idea that the basic Steinway
back scale idea doesnt work.  I just hear a lot of claims.  Today I used
a bit  of ekstra time tuning the top 6 notes on a C I service. I tuned
the back lengths to exactly the same frequency as the  speaking
lengths....  I got a very clear and definite improvement in sound. Much
cleaner, increased sustain and volume.  At least thats what my ears told
me, and it seemed pretty darned obvious.

Cheers
RicB

    Indeed.

    Terry Farrell