Creative piano killing on YouTube

Rob Goodale rrg at unlv.nevada.edu
Mon Aug 20 19:09:08 MDT 2007

It occurred to me that there might be some interesting non-conventional uses for pianos on YouTube.  It turns out I was correct and I found a massive and delightful assortment things that can be done with old pianos.  Check out these videos as old pianos suffer a variety of creative deaths.  A high speed broadband connection is highly recommended for this unless you want to wait forever to download.  If you don't have one find a friend who does, it will be worth it.

I wish someone would organize some events like this at conventions!  I can just hear the applause and cheers from piano technicians as Gulbranson spinets and other such fine gems are turned to splinters!

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV

We'll begin with this one.  It starts out appearing to be some RPTs preparing a piano for a PTG exam.  You be the judge!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7SntSjlCXA

A piano gets pushed off a building.  A great arial shot!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPwefrseIFg

A crowd attends a piano smashing party
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Byd9-yBUQkQ

Beating up a piano in the dark, (already half smashed).  This one is kind of weird, I'm not certain about this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQVrwImrvCM

More piano smashing.  I'm not sure why it's in the dark.  The "smashers" seem a bit on the drunk side.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRAvHbhBsmw&NR=1

More piano smashing.  Toward the end a guy practices his golf swing on the hammers.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgADi-aOie0

A group dragging a piano down a beach using ropes.  I think this voids the warranty.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4M4na0cP04

More general smashing.  The piano kind of sounds like it's crying as it is brutally murdered.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4leSYjFT6CU

More smashing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtyhNQpryQA

A pleasant piano burning.  It appears that the piano dragging on the beach, the smashing shown above, and the burning is the same event.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgRz3gKer6w

THIS ONE IS SERIOUSLY WEIRD.  Manipulated video with the participates wearing animated skulls.  It looks like a piano's own nightmare.  Very strange music with demented symbols popping up each time the piano is whacked.  Someone put some serious effort into making this one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geiFa5NZmIw

A piano painted white gets smashed with an axe.  A kid talking in the background seems to think its cool.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4yxJF-UOuQ

This one is entitled "HOW TO F#&Q UP A PIANO" and has added music.  Looks like a couple of movers mutilating an unwanted dealer trade-in.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BIa2bz4KzE

WEIRD, WEIRD, WEIRD
A guy playing a piano with his butt.  Some people have way too much time on their hands!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5cPURJ0ens

THIS IS COOL
Looks like somewhere in Asia.  A whole group of pianos lined up waiting for their death.  A huge crowd, hundreds and perhaps thousands are gathered almost like a major sporting event.  The pianos are loaded onto a massive steel catapult and launched.  Weeeeeee!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvIPsrcpS8s

CONTINUED
The following are different views of the above event.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYbyOIaH_DU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7ons3wQQvo

Another really cool one.  A piano is set on fire and then flung with a trebuchet at night before a large crowd.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F92FQdnLlSc

A great trebuchet launch on what I think is the world's largest, (20 stories tall).  The bottom of the piano is filled with gas and it is set on fire.  Upon impact the piano dies in a massive ball of flame!  I like this one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wVADKznOhY

A piano movers dream.  Three pianos tossed into a landfill.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBh3NsgPnvM

Someone puts propane tanks inside a piano, sets it on fire, and then proceeds to shoot at it in order to explode the tanks.  Yet another illustration at how many creative ways there are to kill a piano!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYv6_ck9tOk

I LOVE THIS ONE!!!
A grand piano explodes in slow motion to the tune of the 1812 overture.  This one is a lot of fun.  APPLAUSE APPLAUSE!!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ue_X_1wZTEM

This one really made me laugh.  A piano is smashed with a variety of slow motion and high speed video effects.  It becomes quite comical when the guy does this high speed dance on the strings.  To use chat-room lingo, it got me ROFL.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Im0eusxAby4

A grand piano is thrown into the street at high speed from a moving truck.  The guy then goes back and drives OVER the piano going pretty fast.  Personally I would not advise this.  He probably doesn't like his truck very much!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rx3ADhf0V8I

John Cage would be proud.  I'm just not sure what to make of this one.  A surreal and warped "symphony" with full orchestra in a production called
"MO!KESTERA - DEATH OF A PIANO".  The conductor stands on the piano while the orchestra plays a highly unorganized dirge.  The climatic ending involves smashing the piano on stage as the other instruments appear to be mocking the pianos crucifixion.  Be prepared, it is very long.  Apparently there were several different performances of this, others are referenced and you can check them out.

I could go on, and on.  There is so many piano destruction videos on YouTube it's indescribable.  I had no idea.  Likewise I have found several very delightful piano videos as well.  I'll make another posting later on those.  In the meantime if you wish to find more piano destruction videos, visit YouTube and search phrases like:

piano smash
piano smashing
piano crush
piano burn