2:1, 4:2, 6:3 octaves

Bernhard Stopper b98tu at t-online.de
Wed Aug 22 11:13:37 MDT 2007

See Comments below, regards, Bernhard Stopper

Jason Kanter wrote:
> Double octave, yes. But within this, check all the twelfths -- they
> should be as close to pure, beatless as possible and this will
> guarantee the right amount of stretch.
agree
> The test for a perfect 12th is a sixth below the lower note. That is:
> to test C4-G5, use Eb3 against the C4 (a sixth that beats at the
> frequency of G5) and Eb against G5 - should beat the same. This will
> almost always give you an octave stretch that is the sweet spot
> between 4:2 and 6:3.Note - mathematically perfect ET twelfths in a
> world without inharmonicity would be narrow.
correct for standard ET temperament
> Inharmonicity stretches them.
not very correct.
inharmonicity stretches *everything, still keeping the problem of the
pythagorean comma.*
tuning twelfths pure an ET, is the result of a *completely different* ET
temperament, dividing the pythagorean comma to the octaves.
See more about my work on this at http://www.stopper-scale.com