Preference on piano wire

Jurgen Goering pianoforte at pianofortesupply.com
Wed Aug 22 17:40:56 MDT 2007

Brett:
You are in Hawaii, aren't you?  I am really surprised that not more
technicians working in humid places or locations near the ocean have
looked into using stainless steel piano wire.   Why string with a wire
that you know will be rusty in short order?   Pure Sound wire won't
rust because it is stainless.  It is not directly interchangeable with
Mapes or Röslau wire, because the tensile strength is a bit lower.
Scaling needs to be looked at and taken into account.  But for certain
pianos, including Steinways up to the B, it can be a viable
alternative.  Other benefits are tonal improvements in pianos that
don't have high tension scales.

Jurgen Goering
Piano Forte Supply
(250) 754-2440