Steinway B tenor conversion report

Jurgen Goering pianoforte at pianofortesupply.com
Wed Aug 22 18:01:02 MDT 2007

Another method to  improve the tenor is to restring the offending
unisons with a different wire that is better suited to the low tensions
in this area.  A number of technicians have successfully used Pure
Sound wire to bridge the tenor/bass break.  This spot seems to be
problematic in very many pianos.  A while back while tuning a Yamaha U3
I became annoyed by the poor tone down there.  I measured the string
parameters and ran the numbers through some scaling software.  I got
results that I decided couldn't be correct.  I ran the same numbers
through a different scaling spreadsheet and got the same results: 28%
of breaking strength.  No wonder the tone is so bad...

Now, when I do re-stringing, as a rule I look closely at that area and
usually find myself reaching for Pure sound wire to string the bottom
few plain wire unisons.

No drilling the plate for hitch pins, messing with replacing agraffes
and dampers, no need to move or remove bridge pins.  By comparison it
is an extremely cost efficient measure and it is easily 100%
reversible.  If the budget allows for the invasive route, by all means,
go for it.  And for situations where a low-cost improvement is called
for, by all means try out using Pure Sound wire.

Jurgen Goering
Piano Forte Supply
(250) 754-2440
info at pianofortesupply.com
http://www.pianofortesupply.com

On Aug 19, 2007, at 12:47, Bob Hull wrote:

> Last week I completed the conversion of four plain tenor trichords to
> wound bichords on a late 1970's model B in a church.  These four
> lowest notes of the tenor had a significant "thonk" type of sound.
> The pianist of the church called me to see what I could do about this
> part of the scale.

> I ordered the strings from Arledge according to sizes that Ron
> Nossaman provided for me.  It was a good job to add hitch pins at
> precisely the right location that I mapped out, switch from trichord
> to bichord agraffes, install the new strings, and switch the damper
> felts to bichord wedges.  Also, replaced the understring felt in the
> porthole.  The sound was initially improved about 30-40% over the
> original.
snip...