Grand Dampers

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Thu Aug 23 01:06:11 MDT 2007

At 8:48 pm -0500 22/8/07, William R. Monroe wrote:

>How long do you find you need to leave the dampers clamped for this
>"winged profile" to hold?  Have you ever had problems with the
>dampers not retaining the profile?

It depends on the temperature and the air circulation, but I might
leave the strip in the screw clamp for two or three hours and then
transfer it to the simpler clamp
<http://pianomaker.co.uk/damper_pictures/dampers_1.jpg> after
applying the backing cloth and leave it there another few hours.
This second clamp is a simple board of mahogany with a straightened
clock-spring set into it, and for most pianos, which don't require
the bump at the top shown in the illustration, I just use a single
top lath and 10 Pony clamps.  It's all pretty primitive but it works.
As to the felt's retaining the profile, so long as the PVA glue has
passed the rubbery stage, the profile will first open op just a bit
and then hold.  If you underdo the clamping and the felt begins to
flatten out, you just clamp it for a bit longer.  The thing to avoid
is leaving it in the clamp until the glue is thoroughly set, because
then you get too pronounced a V.

I'll be doing the dampers on a Bechstein Model C grand this week and
will take some more pictures.

JD