Plugging and re-drilling birdseyes? Micro-precision felt cutter, for tiny pieces in butts?

gordon stelter lclgcnp at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 23 19:28:01 MDT 2007

   This Ivers and Pond action makes me wonder if
someone oughtn't come up with a nifty system of
plugging and redrilling the birdseyes ??? This action
has "lost motion compensator" wippens, totally
unavailable, and I have found minute differences in
action part geometry, from old parts to replacement
stuff. It has an amazingly repsonsive touch for a
massive upright, so I don't want to change anything,
other than wearable materials.
     Speaking of which: The "Guillotine" type action
felt choppers are pretty useless for the tiny pieces
used under the butt buckskin ( which I'm replacing
with Ecsaine (TM)) etc..  So I was lying in bed last
night, wondering if a micro "paper cutter" type gizmo
might be devised, for these. So far, all that's
occurred to me has been to get a good quality,
"slop-free" 1/4" drive mini "Breaker bar" ( Snap-on,
Craftsmnan, etc.) and mount, somehow, a razor blade,
or box-cutter blade, to the under side of the handle,
with the square drive tip end firmly attached to a
sturdy  base. Some sort of aluminum fence, for
straightness, and vinyl base-board molding
( my favorite stuff to cut felt on ) to keep the razor
from dulling too soon.
    Has anybody else "tackled" this issue of
precision, tiny felt cutting ? Got a  better idea ?