Micro-precision felt cutter

Jurgen Goering pianoforte at pianofortesupply.com
Fri Aug 24 13:46:06 MDT 2007

> Hi Jurgen,
>  I had a guillotine cutter some time back, but seem to have lost it
> some years ago. It seemed to perform so-so. I like your design. What
> kind of a blade do you have on this?

I use a fairly standard utility knife blade, which lasts for months.  I
like that is is rigid and strong.  Sometimes I miss having a longer
blade.  Perhaps on my next model I will try the break-away blades

>  Also, it looks like there would be some wiggle to your blade arm here
> - what keeps it striking/cutting in exactly the same spot?

For one thing, the arm fits snug into its bracket.  The arm pivots on a
bolt and by adjusting the tightness of the nut I can get the ideal
balance of friction and guidance.  The nut is tight enough that the arm
stays up in the air when it is lifted.
As well, operation procedure comes into play as well for repetitive
precision.    I do not push the arm down as you would use a paper
cutter.   I raise the arm, adjust the material I am cutting, bring the
arm down to where it touches the material.  Then I give the back of the
arm a quick, light whack with the palm of my heel.

> Is the white stuff a replaceable chopping surface? Polyethylene-type
> plastic stuff?

Yes, HDPE (high density poly-ethylene).  Simply a piece of kitchen
cutting board.  3/8" thick
> How tall is your stop block?

About 5/8"
> How wide is the blade?
2"
> Any other close-up pictures available?

Here are some pieces of tri-chord damper felt I whacked off to show
what this cutter will do.