How much tone is lost by PAINTING a soundboard with gray primer ????( YUCK! !!)

Dean May deanmay at pianorebuilders.com
Fri Aug 24 20:49:37 MDT 2007

Why not try sandblasting?

Dean

Dean May             cell 812.239.3359

PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272

Terre Haute IN  47802

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces at ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces at ptg.org] On Behalf
Of gordon stelter
Sent: Friday, August 24, 2007 9:47 PM
To: Pianotech List
Subject: How much tone is lost by PAINTING a soundboard with gray primer
????( YUCK! !!)

     Quite a  lot, I'd suspect. I just picked up this
Steinway upright, and found rather thick, gray paint
all over thre back posts and soundboard.
Gray sandable primer is, I believe rather soft
( = sound absorbing. ) If I have time, I'll get a
bunch of carbon filters for my gas-mask, and try to
blast it off with lacquer thinner in my spray gun,
with a  bottle brush to get behind the posts.
     Peace,

P.S. Thanks for all the answers to my felt-chopper
query! Gave me some great ideas, and if I come up with
someting different, I'll try to post some photos.