LCD Frisbee

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sat Aug 25 16:56:51 MDT 2007

Another minor saga in the life of SuperFutz!

For years, my old Compaq laptop wouldn't run for more than
about five or ten minutes on a battery charge, so I just kept
it on the charger when I used it. Finally, it started getting
strange and had a couple of minor psychotic episodes that
prompted me to go battery shopping. A new Lithium-ion battery,
fully charged, and it fired right up - for about a half hour,
then blinked out suddenly. I dinked around with it off and on
for a couple of days, then just ignored it for another week,
putting off the revelation that it was fried for as long as I
could. This afternoon, glaring at it as I walked past, a brain
cell belatedly fired. *CMOS*, it said. Well, duh. So I got the
thing apart this afternoon without breaking anything
important, pulled sub assemblies until I found the tiny button
cell, went out and got a replacement, and put the thing back
together with no major parts left over. It works. Slowly, like
it always did. You'd think as many desktop systems as I've put
together, upgraded, salvaged, cannibalized, and resurrected
through the years, I'd have thought of the CMOS battery
sooner. Argh...

Ron N