not the typical tuning problem at the break

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 28 12:46:53 MDT 2007

On 8/28/07, Gene Nelson <nelsong at pbic.net> wrote:

>  Have a client with a 1900 Bechstein 7'
> The board is dead and needs replacement. Bass strings appear in good shape
> -not full of crud and clean looking- but are a little tubby sounding.
> While tuning several of the top bass bichords I can tune the unisons very
> well, however - when the unisons are in tune, one string of the unison will
> be quite a bit out of tune with all adjacent intervals - 3rds, 10ths, 6ths,
> octaves etc. If I tune the intervals to sound ok then the unison is out of
> tune as one of the strings will agree with intervals and the other will not.
> The tuning ends up sounding ok but I have not been to resolve this to my
> satisfaction.
> I have tuned it aurally and with a SAT - the aural tunings work better but
> it is easy to get lost using either - afraid of breaking a string.
> I have tried alternative techniques like focusing ear and SAT on
> fundamental frequency rather than the partials with the same resultant
> issues.
> Anyone else ever experience this?
> Gene Nelson

How worn are the hammers? What is the condition of the bass bridge? Either
or both acting together could be affecting what you are describing. A third
possibility is the strings have been replaced with a lesser quality product
and that's why they look so good!?

--
Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service