What are benefits of new shanks on upright hammer replacement ?

Don Mannino donmannino at ca.rr.com
Tue Aug 28 20:20:43 MDT 2007

Gordon,

Here are my reasons for always preferring new shanks:

- Shank wood ages and becomes more flexible with time.  New hammers with
more felt are heavier than the old worn hammers, and will cause the shank to
flex more in forte playing.  The tone will be weak as a result.
- If hammers are worn, knuckles are worn.  You can replace them separately -
but then the labor begins to justify new shanks.
- Action centers have often been gummed up at some point in their lives, and
the bushings may not perform as well as they once did.  New fresh bushings
with even pinning makes for good tone and even touch.

Don Mannino