Twilight for an ivory covering

william ballard yardbird at vermontel.net
Wed Aug 29 08:56:06 MDT 2007

Yo all,

I'm estimating the rebuild on a 1904 Stwy A on the stage of
neighboring HS. (Yes, the music directors are fully aware of the
delicate qualities of a performance piano and are committed to
diligent care of this one, once rebuilt). After several years of
discussion, they finally have a shot at funds through the Development
Office.

Immediate question: the ivory coverings. I just need to convince
people that although we will be refinishing the original fancy
legs&lyre and that the original ivory coverings may look usable, in
fact they'll be more trouble than they're worth. At the ends of the
keyboard, the original thickness is 0.050". There are 16 checked
heads (read, to be replaced during a restoration) and 28 checked
front (half, resulting from split and peeling key-stick "fascia").

Certainly, any of this can be repaired and replaced during a whole-
nine-yards restoration. But I'm figuring that will cost 2-3x starting
over with a first-class plastic recovering. And the HS students won't
notice the swap. (Plastic? Ivory? Only your music director knows for

Any opinions on this?

TIA

Mr. Bill

"If we see you SMOKING we will assume that you are on fire and will
take appropriate measures"
     ...........Sign in a Music Dept. Hallway