a DIY video tutorial: setting the Bach temperament on harpsichord

Brad Lehman bpl at umich.edu
Wed Aug 29 09:15:45 MDT 2007

>> For a minute there I wasn't sure if he was using a tuning
>> fork...or......a cat-a-tonic.....
>
> Now now, that cat was just fine, minding her own business and watching
> the thunderstorm roll in when she was intruded upon and chose to Bach
> off rather than complain.

Yup, sorry about the thunderstorm noise on the video.  It was a blustery
day.  A couple of hours earlier we had had high winds and one-inch
hailstones.  Still rumbling a little during the tuning demo.

When I came in this morning to practice (Chromatic Fantasy & Fugue for
next weekend's gig), I learned that the cat sometime in the interim had
left me three nice samples of puke on top of the harpsichord.
Fortunately he missed the soundboard, strings, keys, and the stacks of
music pages.  He concentrated his efforts on defacing the painted lid.
A dustpan and half a dozen baby wipes later, we're good as new.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9IqD_04G0s

Anyway, the temperament works nicely on piano too.  I've had it on our
church's piano for more than two years now, and it plays everything.
Last week I did the Chopin Berceuse (D-flat major).

More often I set the thing from an A fork instead of a C fork.    Get
the F-A going with its slight sharpness, plug in the F-C-G-D-A 5ths with
their consistent 1/6 comma quality, and away we go.

My little shortcut to establish the G *exactly* where it belongs halfway
between F and A: use a C that's temporarily pure below F, and a D that's
temporarily pure below A.  From that C and D, get the G going so the C-G
5th is making a duplet beat against the triplets of the D-G 4th.  Voila.
  Then, average out the C and D later (within F-C-G and G-D-A).
Explanation:
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~bpl/larips/practical.html
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~bpl/larips/tetrasect.html

Maybe I'll do a short video sometime on that technique, too, since it's
useful to set up any type of meantone or modified-meantone temperament
accurately.  It gets the core 5ths/4ths to be evenly spaced (properly)
in just 2 or 3 minutes, with no guessing.  Any interest?  Anybody else
here already use such a technique with two temporarily-pure notes as
markers?

Bradley Lehman