My response to The Life and Times of a piano - A Poem

Alan Barnard tune4u at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 29 16:28:04 MDT 2007

A noble effort! However; and I am sad to inform you that that very piano (and 37 of its dear old friends) are in my area. That thought, and your poem, have inspired the following (yeah I know, "keep your day job") effort:

Ode to Old Uprights

They're dirty, their dusty,

Smell mousy and musty,

(Should long ago have been scrapped),

But we take out tools, try not to look fools,

While children watch us, enrapt.

They look pretty crappy,

But to make the folks happy,

(And because they are willing to pay),

We glue and adjust, scrape out goo, gunk, and rust,

And drench the old pins in CA.

Oh bother, we say,

This just ain't my day,

(When strings they are asnappin'),

Mend stickers, glue shanks, fix keys--and give thanks,

For the fees that are coming our way.

Alan Barnard

Salem, MO