What's the best material for an upper plate bridge bearing rod ?

Prof. Euphonious Thump lclgcnp at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 7 16:05:52 MST 2007

Dear List,
     On this 1902 Ivers and Pond, a springy sort of
steel was used ( which popped back practically
straight, after the strings were taken off the top of
it. ) I presume they used it because it's  a harder
sort of steel, and they wanted a  definite,
long-lasting termination point, but it still developed
little nicks in it from the strings.
     I want to get a bit more bearing on the
tenor/treble bridges, by either A) Replacing the rod
with a  smaller diameter: in which case I'd like some
advice about the type/hardness of steel/or other
material I should use.
B) Take it to my favorite machine shop, and have them
mill a half,m or three-quarter-round out of it (
eliminating the side with the nicks )

Which raises question #2: What sort of
string-to-bridge angles should I want on an unstrung,
massive ( 57" ) upright, with no soundboard cutoff
?????
     Your expert advice is humbly requested.

     Thanks!
     Thump