Breaking strengths / percents

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco at luther.edu
Thu Feb 1 10:24:40 MST 2007

At 08:57 AM 2/1/2007 -0800, you wrote:
>55.7% seems ridiculously precise. Isn't the notion of "maximum safe
>tension" more analogous to e.g. the speed limit of 55 miles per
>hour? Where in fact there are so many variables in the car, the
>driver, the shape of the road, surface conditions, traffic
>conditions and environmental variables.

>Jason

I think that the "speed limit" we should be aware of is the point of
plastic deformation. (starting to "taffy out", but not yet
breaking.)  Those smarter than I am will no doubt provide the average
% of break point where that might be. The closer to that point, the
more false beats, methinks.

Conrad Hoffsommer - Keyboard Technician
1-(563)-387-1204 // Fax 1-(563)-387-1076

- Right now, I'm hoping to live until my age matches my golf score,
- Until then, I'll have to be content to have my IQ match my handicap.