e-bay ethics and suckers

Rob Goodale rrg at unlv.nevada.edu
Thu Feb 1 14:08:10 MST 2007

An old and regularly re-hashed topic but...

It never ceases to amaze me what people will sell on e-bay and the poor
uneducated suckers who buy some of this crap.  Over the years we have all
seen this.  I recall some years back someone here discovered a "who cares
and sons" junky grand being advertised as a "Steinway in excellent
condition".  Enough technicians sent embarrassing "how dare you" comments to
the seller that we eventually forced it to be taken off.

Here is a new one.  A set of old vintage and worthless action parts.  It's
advertised as "Mason and Hamlin-Steinway".  Never mind the two are not
interchangable!  From the picture you can clearly see the hammers are worn
and flat, the knuckles are egg shaped, and the overall condition looks worn
and pathetic.  It says "The action was very responsive and not sluggish but
the owner wanted a new action".  Ya, sure.  Some poor fool will buy this
crap and think they were going to put them on their piano?  A sucker is born
every minute.

E-bay listing is here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Mason-Hamlin-BB-PIANO-Set-of-88-Action-Parts-Steinway_W0QQitemZ130074342274QQihZ003QQcategoryZ64431QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Rob Goodale, RPT