Ronsen Bacon felt

Erwinspiano at aol.com Erwinspiano at aol.com
Thu Feb 1 16:57:22 MST 2007

David,  Mah  Brother
  Comments below

Dale gets my full agreement on  his use of the Ronsen hammer with Bacon felt.
 I just completed a  change of hammers on a Yamaha S-400B using the Bacon
felt and I believe it  is one of the most beautiful sounding instruments I have
ever heard.   I would welcome any of my colleagues to hear this piano.
The  only thing I have done to the felt is to give the hammers a hard shaping
 and the tone is spectacular.

Bruce  Stevens

My only question with "soft" hammers is that my artist clients seem to  need
a certain kinesthetic "pop" when the note is struck to feel comfortable  that
the piano is projecting properly, and sometimes mellow, dark, more
fundamental-sounding pianos, pianos set up and voiced in a "softer" mode, do  not give
that "pop" that makes the player feel good.

  If the hammers are truly soft or soggy then problems  occur.  These Bacon
felted hammers are firm without being hard as are  vintage Steinway un juiced
Steinway  hammers. They are firm when a single  needle is plunge deep & it
doesn't just pop out but the felt gives it up  grudgingly.  Love that!
  I understand your dilemma  full well &  we/you must be able to take the
hammer to the point it needs to be to give that  sense your boys/girls require.
Getting it there is done by the  artistry of beautiful hammer shaping & string
mating, ironing &  dilute juicing protocols when required instead of endless
needling.
  Also to taste something different requires trying it a  few times.  Many
musicians are so brainwashed /ear washed that it takes a  bit for them to go,
wow ,this is really good,sweet...yes  powerful,clear,etc. The tone gets to
develop.  What a  ride.
    Also as the hammer seats & packs to the  string, the top
harmonics/partials fill out & sustain increases the  more. Developing tone requires some
patience & play in time. This  is easy. Taking a hammer that's too hard & getting
it to fill out on  the bottom fundamental by excessive needling is the hard
part.
   Did my Steinway D give that Pop? Did any artist  complain or comment?
Hmmm. Wait till you hear My Long A with Steinway felt  hamahs

Does that make any sense? It's something I work with all the time in
preparing pianos for recording----I want the piano to sound clear at every  volume,
and brilliant, even piercing at high volume, because I know the artist  needs
to hear/feel a certain "attack sense" through his/her fingers to feel  right.

  Different hammers for different folks &  ears
 I'm looking for soft high-compression hammers, I guess. I wish  Renner could
give me a truly soft set of their best Wurzen hammers....Baldassin  and I
have talked about this a lot.
  Try the Ronsen Wurzen.  I wouldn't describe them  as soft...only slightly
less dense but easy to get needles in when  required.

I'll have a CD of some tracks from  the last two Atelier concerts  for all
you lucky dudes and dudettes who are coming to the California State  PTG
Conference in San Francisco next week. You'll give me your feedback, and  we'll yap
yap yap about hammers and voicing and recording and  whatever.

  Looking forward to this Dave  & the B with the  Bacon felt will be there
for all to hear.  & we will voice some notes  on it in class.  SOund Good?
  Dale

Best,
David Andersen

=