"Restored" Steinert 9-footer available, quite reasonable.

gordon stelter lclgcnp at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 2 21:55:55 MST 2007

   I've heard these are "copies of Masons", or "copies
of Steinways", very well made, in Boston, by
musicologist and piano dealer Morris Steinert.
     This one's in Atlanta. Somebody there bought it
from one of the well-known piano wholesalers ( not Irv
Jacobi! ) in a "made up to look like a Steinway"
condition ( even a casting of the Steinway logo was
made, and glued to the plate !!! ) and is not too
happy about it.  So he wants to "dump it". However
( and amazingly coincidentally ), I went to the
Steinway dealers' in Atlanta that very same day, and
without any mention, by me, of this piano, the
extremely knowledgeable salesperson there waxed poetic
about great, unnapreciated pianos, and the Steinert
was the very first he mentioned! Said they are
appreciated in Boston, but not elsewhere.
( Pretty open and candid for a  Steinway salesman! )
    If you want a great 9' piano, "restored"
( perhaps even as good as a Steinway, but for a
fraction of Steinway's price ) this might be the one
for you.
     If you have any more information about these
pianos, please share it with us. All I know is what is
written above, and that there is a 100 year old book
in the UGA library that is a  photographic tour of Mr.
Steinert's collection of very early keyboard
instruments.