In-floor Radiant Heating

paul bruesch tunergeek at gmail.com
Fri Feb 2 18:24:00 MST 2007

Thanks all, for the responses.  Ron L, I think you may be quite near the
piano in question!  It's in New Richmond, WI, and I only found two Ron
Lindstrom's in all Wisconsin!

Anyhow, the work was about to begin when I got the phone call this a.m.  It
sounded as tho' they'd been fretting about the issue for some time... and
waited until the last 30 minutes to inquire of anyone who MIGHT have a clue.
(It's like the people that pay $200 to move a free (junker) piano before
they ask if it's salvageable.)

I wound up recommending that they not heat under the piano (which is a
console). It is a music studio, and they have placed it for optimal
acoustics, so it will not matter that they are committing to the one
location. If they ever should eventually vacate, the unheated portion of the
floor will not be very large since it's a console.  I also recommended a
Dampp-Chaser, as I usually do for those pianos where stability is a bigger
issue than the typical home. (In a home, I recommend at least a room or
whole-house humidification, which helps the residents' health as much as the
piano's.)

Thanks again,
Paul