In floor radiant heating

jimialeggio5 at comcast.net jimialeggio5 at comcast.net
Sat Feb 3 16:15:09 MST 2007

Its interesting that flooring manufactures also used to warranties on flooring over radiant heating, but many of them, seeing the evidence, no longer do this.

But, I'm afraid anecdotal evidence dies hard.  The floors placed over this heating don't suffer, unless as in any space the RH is out to lunch.  In fact, as I can attest from the very reactive walnut and wide pine , and not so reactive laminated bamboo that we have installed throughout our house, the floors themselves, that is the wood actually in immediate proximity to the heating tubes, never go below 8% throughout the entire New England winter.

The question really is, as usual, what is the RH of the building?  Or said another way how leaky (drafty) or alternatively how tight is the building?  If the building's RH is too low, any heat will blow the furniture apart.

Since the damp-chaser element is a radiant heat source.... according to the negative comments about what the radiant heat is doing, the damp-chaser should also be ruining pianos.  In fact, the Damp-chaser would ruin pianos in the winter if the RH was not mitigated by the water bath.

The post regarding moving the church piano from the choir loft was really about moving it from a marginally heated to a heated area...not about the type of heat used

Jim I