pianists at utube

centipod at mac.com centipod at mac.com
Mon Feb 5 16:13:41 MST 2007

Cy, Dean et al.

I've always wondered whether terribly meaningful judgements can be
made about the tone of pianos coming out of speakers, no matter how
good the speakers (or the pianos!) are. Some years ago I attended a
PTG seminar class that featured listening to the tone of pianos in
old recordings from decades ago. I couldn't help but be puzzled by
the fact that we were trying to make tonal discriminations based on
what we were hearing coming out of two small PA-type speakers,
playing CD's produced from old analog recordings. It's hard to know
how drastically, and in what directions, the waveform is altered in
such a  translation. Every microphone, speaker or headphone has it's
own frequency response. How close to "reality" is it? Certainly
tuning problems can be heard, but voicing judgements? I don't
know...I suppose in a relative sense (as in "this piano sounds better
to me than that piano")?

I'm very curious to hear what you and others think about this.

Allen Wright, RPT
London, UK