Funny story

PIANOTECHNICIAN at aol.com PIANOTECHNICIAN at aol.com
Mon Feb 5 19:58:41 MST 2007

A few years ago one of my customers sends me to her elderly mother's
apartment - -I think the woman may have been deceased --- to check out the piano  and
tell her how much it was worth. It turns out to be an old Jacob Doll  baby
grand, but the amazing thing about the piano was that ALMOST EVERY ONE OF  THE
BASS STRINGS HAD BROKEN AND HAD BEEN REPAIRED USING THE SPLICING METHOD  (what
other method is there?) There must have been about 40 "knots" visible  between
the bass tuning pins and the agraffes! What a sight! What a nightmare!  After
a pretty thorough inspection I told the woman to junk the piano.  Well, a
couple of years later, a new customer, in a different county, calls  me for a
tuning. I get there, take off the music desk, and the first thing I  noticed
while looking over the old bomb is that most of the bass strings had  broken and
were repaired! I said to myself, "oh no -- this piano looks  familiar to me!" I
asked the woman where she picked up this treasure (I didn't  use those
words), and she told me about an antique shop several miles away. It  seems that the
original owner's daughter sold it to the antique shop, and they  in turn sold
it to my new customer. Moral of the story: DON'T GO SHOPPING FOR  PIANOS AT
ANTIQUE SHOPS!

Jesse Gitnik  NYC
Since 1980