voicing learning curve

ed440 at mindspring.com ed440 at mindspring.com
Mon Feb 5 20:25:45 MST 2007

O.K., here's something:

To voice intentionally, we need to be able to hear, analyse and imagine piano tone in our minds.

Practice listening to a note, then "playing it back" in your mind.  Hear how a note changes through time: the explosive, disorganized beginning which quickly (how quickly?) begins to organize into a tone, which then focuses and blossoms (how well, how long?), then begins to dissolve, perhaps dancing back and forth between two overtones, then simplifying into one simple, fading tone.  Find ways to name what you hear.

These are some of the possible parts of a piano tone.  As we can name the parts of a tone we like, dislike or want to hear, we can think about how we want to change the tone.  Then we can think about how to do it.

Ed Sutton