Two broken bass strings in one tuning?????

pjr pryan2 at the-beach.net
Tue Feb 6 06:56:52 MST 2007

For what it's worth, the same situation (two broken bass strings)
happened to me last Saturday on a (never-been-tuned) three year old
Nordiska upright.  Both strings broke at the contact point near the pin,
but showed no signs of rust or corrosion.  I was not overpulling them,
but I was bringing them up approx. 32 cents with extremely tight pins.
It seems to me that new strings like this should be able to withstand
this amount of pressure.

The situation rattled me quite a bit as it was a rather new piano and I
know the owner must have though I was a yahoo (Maybe I am).  I made a
note that if (unlikely) the owner calls again, to "be busy" and
recommend someone else.  For that matter, the same for anyone who calls
with that make piano again.  Is this piano prejudice?