dealers

Rob Goodale rrg at unlv.nevada.edu
Tue Feb 6 14:51:40 MST 2007

Scenario "A"
Unless you have a legal binding non-compete contract with them, (assuming this is an outside deal and has nothing to do with the store), there is no way they can prevent you from selling anything.  You are entitled to use the same free enterprise democracy our constitution provides as they are and all their bitching in the world can not prevent that.  They could potentially cry to the county Department of Commerce claiming you do not have a retail sales license but it is probably not worth either party's time.  There are far too many bigger fish in the kettle and the county's limited staff would likely rather pursue something more tangible.  The dealer would also probably have to demonstrate financial damage in small claims court.  Not going to happen.  Now having said all of that, if you have a good business relationship with them that you wish to perpetuate you may be obligated to play ball, moral or not.  Ask yourself what is most important.

Scenario "B"
If you are attempting to sell one of their used pianos off their floor a sales person may feel you are attempting to undermine a commission.  They in turn could put up a snit-fit with the owners and thus pressure you to stay out of that aspect of their business.  This in my opinion is a very foolish management decision.  Many technicians have gone on to become great sales people and many sales people are not as good as they may think.  Furthermore any sale is good for a dealer without regard of who's doing it and it boosts their bottom line.  If they are stupid enough to discourage you from selling for them during a down market they deserve what they get, that being the loss of your services.

I have been working very hard during the last several years to learn as much about the retail branch of this business as possible.  This includes becoming privy of sales strategy, talking with top marketing people, and attending major manufacturer sales seminars.  I have learned a lot about dealer buying, floor financing, sales margins, inventory costs, and expenses such as insurance, utilities, corporate taxes, liabilities, employees, retail law, and just exactly what it takes to remain in business.  I can tell you isn't easy.  Fortunately I have become very good personal friends with the owners of the largest dealer here and they have been gracious to share their knowledge and much inside information.  I used to be quick to criticize dealers about "how cheep they are".  It's not so easy for me to pass this kind of judgment anymore.

I can affirmatively say that there are some real jerky and stupid dealers out there.  I've work with and/or for them and have seen the consequences of their mistakes not excluding bankruptcy.  Some deserve to be out of business and a few are outright criminal.  My suggestion is to kindly ask the owner(s) "where their priorities are" and what is most important to them.  That way you both have an understanding of where the boundaries are.  If they are genuinely being stupid there are polite ways to get the message across without actually saying it.  If they miss out on a sale by not allowing you to transact their product it is their loss and the customer will probably go to their competitor.

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV

  List,
  How would you feel about a dealer who told you that were not Allowed to sell a used piano which you repaired etc. ? Said dealer is sending about $6-7,000 yr. in direct work and referrals, only after their previous tuner retired.
  Rick Ucci/Ucci Piano