Naugahyde refinishing

Rob Goodale rrg at unlv.nevada.edu
Tue Feb 6 16:05:20 MST 2007

Having slaughtered so many naugas during the 60s they are now on the
endangered species list and the hides are illegal to import.  Like ivory
there are limited supplies of "pre-ban" nauga available if you are willing
to pay the price.   It is a shame, however, as nauga is quite tasty if
cooked properly.  Once on vacation I saw a heard of grazing burnt orange and
harvest gold naugas.  The turquoise species are reportedly the rarest.
Breeding can be quite dangerous if your are too close, as buttons and tacks
often spin off at high velocities.

But seriously folks...

A relatively easy solution may be to refinish the piano in satin ebony if
the client is willing.  gouges, veneer problems, and other imperfections can
be easily filled without consequence and it would make the piano more
universally compatible with modern furniture styles.

Years ago I had a client who "refinished" a piano himself in Naugahyde.  He
did it in a sort of "cowboy" motif with leather looking Nauga and decorative
tacks.  On the front were steer horns like a Texas Cadillac hood ornament.
The "bench" was a tractor seat.  The only thing missing was a built-in beer
holder.  It should have been in a western honky-tonk bar!

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV