Cuttin' Sitka for Soundboards

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Wed Feb 7 09:02:00 MST 2007

Thanks. I like my shop, small but cozy. I find it difficult to find really really clear, perfectly straight, even grained Sitka. I don't have any problem myself for any of my pianos, but it really tears me up when I'm building a soundboard for a client - I'm always thinking that they will be super-critical of the cosmetic aspects of the panel.

I'm in Tampa, Florida. I can tell you all about efforts to preserve Florida springs, the Everglades, etc. - but I really am not up on the status of Sitka's environment - although I'm sure it is dwindling. Del Fandrich keeps up with those concerns - he's located right in the middle of it. Does Sitka grow way up in the Denali region? Wow, that 100+ miles north of Anchorage. I thought it stayed pretty much along the coast. My Sitka comes from way down south on/near Vancouver Island.

Terry Farrell