String noise in Pramberger grand

Don Hubbs donhubbs at mwt.net
Tue Feb 6 22:00:08 MST 2007

I have a piano teacher tuning customer who purchased a new Pramberger 5' 6 or 8 ish grand about a year ago. He says it had a mellow tone when he bought it, but is now complaining about the buzzy high edge on the sound. I'm used to hearing this in many newer Asian pianos, so it really doesn't bother me, but it does him, and he is the one who has to be happy.

This isn't a loose screw problem. It sounds more like what duplexing adds to the sound. I did needle voicing thru the mid-range and got rid of the edge at low and moderate volumes, but with louder playing it is still quite noticable. I didn't try to take the edge off the top two octaves and he doesn't seem to mind the buzz up there. I pressed the wires firmly to the bridge, with no apparent effect. If the problem was the seat at the capo and agraffe's, wouldn't it be different between the two, or is the termination point there machined to the exact shape in both the capo and agraffes in order to purposely produce this buzz?

I just got on this site, so I haven't reviewed all the previous posts, but I did see the one on the Pitchlock staples. Is this maybe coming from the duplexing and could it be fixed with the Pitchlock staples in the duplex? Anybody fixed this one? Thanks for your help and suggestions.