shim strings to cure buzz?

David Nereson dnereson at 4dv.net
Wed Feb 7 21:50:48 MST 2007

        Encountered some buzzing treble strings on 1961 Challen
5' grand.  The board had a little crown, but there was no
downbearing.  I think a few of the strings are buzzing on the
bridge because of no bearing.  Has anyone tried inserting very
thin shims under the strings, on the bridge top, to give them
some bearing?  I realize this might changes the termination
point on the bridge pin slightly and false beats may result.  If
so, could maybe the bridge pins be pulled, the holes plugged,
the veneer glued on (or just placed on), then the bridge pin
holes re-drilled??  It's only 4 unisons or so.  The buzzing
strings are on either side of a plate strut, and the ones on the
right are under the capo whereas the ones on the left have
agraffes, so I don't think it's grooves in the capo.  No splits
around the bridge pins.   I guess I could go farther and re-cap
just the portion of the bridge that's low, but it would be
difficult to do in the piano.
      David Nereson, RPT