Cuttin' Sitka for Soundboards

Fenton Murray fmurray at cruzio.com
Thu Feb 8 00:06:49 MST 2007

nice
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Farrell
  To: Pianotech List
  Sent: Wednesday, February 07, 2007 6:20 PM
  Subject: Re: Cuttin' Sitka for Soundboards

  Hi Fenton,

  Take a look at my website page http://www.farrellpiano.com/panels.htm It pretty well shows the ABCs of how I glue up a panel.

  The big MDF/pine fence is a home-made add-on that bolts to the original aluminum fence that came with the saw. I think the original fence is maybe 5 or 6 inches tall. My add-on fence is 10 inches tall - when I am resawing taller pieces, it is nice to have the taller support. Most of the boards I am currently resawing are about 9 inches wide/tall.

  I meant for my fence to be flat, but it seems to have warped a bit. Fortunately it warped convex toward the blade. Sometimes a board I am trying to resaw is warped a bit, and the slight warp of the fence helps to not hold the board out from the fence - I'm always able to keep it flush with the fence.

  Some saws have attachments that are a small diameter curved piece that attaches to the fence for resawing. What that does is it lets a board go through at whatever angle it needs to to accommodate any drift the blade might have. The blades I'm using don't have drift. They simply cut straight all the time, every time. So I don't find a need for such a device.

  http://www.lagunatools.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=119

  I use the 1-1/4" blade as it is the largest that my saw accommodates. They also make a 2-inch resaw blade. I wish I could afford the saw that can handle that blade!

  Terry Farrell