The Piano Exploded

PIANOTECHNICIAN at aol.com PIANOTECHNICIAN at aol.com
Thu Feb 8 11:06:04 MST 2007

I worked in a prestigious piano restoration center in New York a few years
ago. A very wealthy man, who owned houses throughout the world, sent us his
Steinway grand -- a monstrous piano which I believe was from the  1870's --
that he'd won at an auction. The piano's plate was cracked, and  we gave him the
estimate of several thousand dollars to manufacture a matching  plate. He
refused, and could not be convinced otherwise. So we had the next best  thing done
- -repair the crack. After we totally restored the instrument and I  gave it
the final tuning, I sat down to play, and it sounded good. A few minutes
later while chatting with some co-workers, we hear a bit of an  explosion come
from the piano. The moral of the story: THERE'S A TIME AND  PLACE TO TRY TO SAVE
$$$, AND A TIME AND PLACE WHERE YOU HAVE TO SPEND THE $$$.  I hope the
customer learned the lesson well.

Jesse Gitnik    NYC
Tech. since 1980