Lehman/Bach Temperament

Brad Lehman bpl at umich.edu
Thu Feb 8 11:54:36 MST 2007

Jon Page wrote:
> Yesterday I tuned this temperament on a Baldwin L
> for someone who has preferred Broadwood's Best
> for many years. I received an e-mail just now:
>       I love the tuning - want it this way forever!!!!!!

Terrific!

I use it almost "all the time," too -- on my harpsichords and clavichord
here, and on our church's piano.  (The only time when I don't use it is
when I'm playing earlier harpsichord music that was written for meantone.)

I'm giving a lecture and two full-length harpsichord recitals in Chico
CA next month, featuring all of this.  Details here:
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~bpl/2007mar13.htm

For any needing the offsets to do this electronically (I always do it by
ear, no device), they're here:
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~bpl/larips/math.html

A (0), Bb (+3.9), B (0), C (+5.9), C# (+3.9), D (+2),
Eb (+3.9), E (-2), F (+7.8), F# (+2), G (+3.9), G# (+3.9).

Recordings are listed here:
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~bpl/larips/recordings.html
Brautigam's disc of Beethoven sonatas 4-7 there, on fortepiano, makes a
good demo for any pianists who might want to hear what it's like on
piano....  Robert Hill's disc of WF Bach's fortepiano music is
forthcoming sometime this year, I believe: he sent me one sample track
so far.

Also, this page by Ross Duffin
http://music.cwru.edu/duffin/Norton/Letter.html
offers Gershwin's "Rhapsody in Blue" plus some Brahms, Debussy, and
Liszt further showing its flexibility, even in extremely chromatic music.

Bradley Lehman
http://www.larips.com