Bach seal (was Re: Lehman/Bach Temperament)

Brad Lehman bpl at umich.edu
Thu Feb 8 12:12:36 MST 2007

Let's be perfectly clear: all of the numbers given below have absolutely
nothing to do with my work.  Those are just a new temperament made up in
2006 by Charles Francis, assigning a bunch of ratios based on Bach's
seal (and Francis's out-Kellnering of Kellner's own esotericism...which
to me seems arbitrary and meaningless).

I don't believe that Bach's seal encodes any manner of temperament, or
has anything in particular to do with music.  I believe it's just a
nicely-designed seal with the initials "JSB" in it, plus their mirror
image, plus a crown on top to make it fancier.
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~bpl/larips/BachSeal.gif

Some of my comments about that Bach seal are on my FAQ page #3 here:
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~bpl/larips/faq3.html

"What about Kellner's claim to have found important 5s and 7s in Bach's
seal, indicating five tempered 5ths and seven pure 5ths? What of it? One
could just as easily claim that there are numbers 1, 3, 3, 5 in the
crown of it, and that they indicate the one wide 5th (A#-F), the three
1/12 PC 5ths (C#-G#-D#-A#), the three pure 5ths (E-B-F#-C#), and the
five 1/6 PC 5ths (F-C-G-D-A-E) of my proposed temperament here. And it's
from the same year--1722--as the WTC title page! Wowee!"

"But esoteric games of this sort are not sufficient evidence of
anything, on their own because the interpretation is so arbitrary,
against other equally arbitrary readings of the same monogram. Plenty
has been made of the various 14s hidden in this same design. What do
they prove? What do they disprove against other readings?"

"Bach's strongest medium of expression, as an expert musician, was
musical sound; I believe we should judge evidence and interpretations by
the way Bach's sound is handled. Real sound at good instruments. Not
esoteric and arbitrary Quatsch!"

Bradley Lehman
http://www.larips.com