More on "The Piano Exploded"

Alan R. Barnard tune4u at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 8 15:32:22 MST 2007

Welding ... very, very, very bad. Do not do, do not let anyone else do. Never, ever ... UNLESS ... well read on ...
The bolt that knits is from Lock-n-Stitch. Go to their website http://www.locknstitch.com/ and look for a video on the expansion and contraction of metals. You will learn a lot and when you see it, you will say, "well that just makes absolute sense". You CAN weld cast iron but only if you heat the whole piece to very close to the weld temperature in the first place and then use a controlled heating and cooling process. Do not try this at home.
Some plates have been successfully (if not artistically) repaired with steel struts bolted on through drilled holes.

Alan Barnard
Salem, MO
Joshua 24:15