Resurrection

Dean May deanmay at pianorebuilders.com
Sat Feb 10 05:49:07 MST 2007

Your Welcome!

Blessings,

Dean

Dean May             cell 812.239.3359

PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272

Terre Haute IN  47802

  _____

From: pianotech-bounces at ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces at ptg.org] On Behalf
Of paul bruesch
Sent: Friday, February 09, 2007 4:10 PM
To: Pianotech List
Subject: Resurrection

A big thank you to this list... I've been monitoring for a month or two now
and have noticed several posts about using CA glue to tighten a loose
pinblock. I had opportunity to use Dean May's procedure (from a post a few
years back) today and it worked fabulously!  One caution that I will follow
in the future, however, is to have a fan behind me to blow the very
unpleasant fumes away. Ideally I'll wait for warmer weather so I'll be able
to vent to the outside.

When I arrived, the proud new owner of the piano pointed out one
non-functioning key (along with numerous badly out of tune ones.) Looking at
the front of the action and peering into it from the front (without a
flashlight) I couldn't see anything. Pulled the action and immediately
discovered the problem. The CANDLE WAX visible in the attached photo was
only about 1/4 of what was gumming up the works. Fortunately, it all came
out in big clumps. Apparently a careless previous owner burned a candle on
top of the piano, exactly on the center hinge joint, and left the house.
Maybe s/he was trying/hoping to arson the place... I dunno. Double pitch
raise (150c - 250c) and a fine tuning (and only two broken strings) later,
owner was quite happy.  It's still not a piano I'd want in my house, but it
was kinda cool to bring it around.

Without the CA procedure, I don't think I'd have been able to accomplish
this. Thank you List, thank you Dean!  (I'm on my customer's Dean's List
now!)

Paul