temp change=how much pitch change?

David Ilvedson ilvey at sbcglobal.net
Sun Feb 11 00:05:14 MST 2007

I'm tuning 1 or 2 Yamahas before each performance here in San Francisco.   CFIII and C7...the last 2 performances I found the AC was blowing cool air into the orchestra pit...the piano was +2 cents or there abouts.   I didn't really notice the AC until I had committed to bringing the piano down to 440.   I was under the impression the AC would be turned off...HA...and fully expected the piano to to be flat the next day...but it was right at pitch AND the AC was on again.   Amazingly they have it being dumped into the pit.   The orchestra routinely covers the vents so they don't get too cool.    Anyway, this morning no AC and the piano was right at pitch...2 shows today...this evening (after a great day at the California State PTG Convention) I tuned again...AC blowing under the piano...;-[...right at pitch or very close...them is stable pianos those Yamahas...

David Ilvedson, RPT
Pacifica, CA  94044