Pitch Drop Over Years

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Sun Feb 11 16:32:43 MST 2007

  ----- Original Message -----
  There was a recent tread on how much a piano will drop in pitch over the years. This afternoon I have an appointment to tune a piano the owner bought new 28 years ago, and she knows for a fact (or at least that what she says) that it has never been tuned. I'll report back.

  Terry Farrell
1978 Kimball spinet. Her parents bought it for her new when she was a kid. She has owned it for 20 years. She knows it has not been tuned in the past 20 years. She thinks that her parents had not had it tuned in the first eight years either, but was not sure. From the way it sounded, my guess is that they had not had it tuned!

Bass was 80 cents flat. Tenor was 100 cents flat. Treble ranged from 130 to 180 cents flat.

Two pitch raises and a "fine" tuning (as y'all know, one doesn't fine tune an instrument like this!).