temp change=how much pitch change?

pianolover 88 pianolover88 at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 11 20:05:50 MST 2007

Dampp-chaser.

Terry Peterson

----Original Message Follows----
From: "John M. Formsma" <john at formsmapiano.com>
To: Pianotech List <pianotech at ptg.org>
Subject: Re: temp change=how much pitch change?
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2007 20:56:22 -0600

Thanks for this, Diane. Good stuff, especially about the graphs. People can
understand better when they're looking at some real data.

One thing I didn't understand is the following: "The only ways to have that
piano at A=440 at concert time, were either to tune it at concert time the
night before and have them keep the heat on all night (usually they don't),
or to tune it in the afternoon, after the auditorium warmed up and tune it
4cents flat! "

I don't follow why you'd tune it 4¢ flat if it's at the temperature it was
tuned the previous night. Could you explain?

JF