Best American uprights EVER built

Gregor _ karlkaputt at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 12 01:08:43 MST 2007

>From: Dave Davis
>
>Gregor,
>
>What are considered "the best" uprights in Germany (or Europe)?

Oh, that´s really hard to say. One of the best I tuned was a Feurich from
1990. Really loved these pianos before they moved back to East Germany
again.

Many of the old pianos from 1920 - 1930 are very fine (if in a good
condition). Many brand names you probably never heard of. E.g. Gebrüder
Knake from my hometown Münster.

The newer/modern pianos I like: Schimmel, Seiler and nearly every other
German piano. I like Grotrian-Steinweg, but these are too expensive and I
had somes experiences with these where I thought that they have minor
mistakes which may definitely not happen with pianos at this price. I like
Bechstein too, but also too expensive and many false beats in the trebble!
Ibach is also fine. Bösendorfer is very very fine, the Steinway uprights
too, of course, but only the higher ones. Obviously they are from other
quality than the New York ones. But I hate that Steinway Z!

My new favorite for low price pianos is Wendl & Lung from Austria (Vienna),
but made in China. The great model (122) costs less than the half of a
Yamaha U1 and is very very fine. I strongly recommend to test it if you are
a dealer! Sounds good and makes no problems:

http://www.wendl-lung.com/

I will change from part-time to full-time in october this year and I am
going to be a dealer then. That brand is the one I will definitely sell
then.

Summarized, the most pianos I see are of good or decent quality. Of course
we know some bad pianos too: most chinese with exception of Essex, May
Berlin and Wendl & Lung. And I don´t like small Kawais. Very bad: russian
pianos like Becker or Belarus. The most bad modern pianos I know: Lindner
from Shannon, Ireland.

Gregor