Acrosonic -- King of the Spinets

tom tomtuner at verizon.net
Mon Feb 12 04:58:22 MST 2007

Annie,
	The  "real" Acro's had the drop action -guided rail -pickup finger
action.IMHO they are easier to work on than most spinets--I.E. the frozen
grommet Kimball's !-- and in many cases continue to give good service with
decent tuning stability.
	As for a recent list contention that they out perform some grand
piano's I part company.
	Larry Fine's book states that when Baldwin stuck the Acro name on
subsequent different models their contention was that Acrosonic was a
furniture distinction not a name associated with a particular piano design.
	Whatever--.
	Tom Driscoll
P.S. Phil --The truck is leaving for Ft. Myers today--Pitchers and catchers
end of the week

Annie Grieshop wrote:
> But I'd swear I've worked on a number of Acrosonics that weren't
> spinets.  Last week, for example:  an Acrosonic console built in the
> late '80s.  I've worked on several that were quite a bit older (and I'm
> sure of that because they hadn't been tuned in decades by the time I saw
> them).  Am I still in the wrong era (universe?) or are Iowegian pianos
> weird?

There are some Acros that are consoles..and your timetable
of the late 80's seems correct.

-Phil Bondi(Fl)