Paid for Pitch Raises?

John Ross jrpiano at win.eastlink.ca
Tue Feb 13 01:47:19 MST 2007

I will do tunings in the Summer for special occasions.
The Summer humidity around here can vary from 60% up to the 90%'s, so to tun
at the 60%, means it could be out at the 90%. Then when Winter comes, the
humidity, can be down in the 20% range.
Most piano lessons are taught through the school year, so I find that the
pianos, are generally not used that much through the Summer. The University
contract runs Sept through April, then they don't tune either.
If they are used through the Summer, then I recommend the installation of a
Dampp-Chaser system.
For a cash flow, there is restringing, hammer replacement, keytops etc. or,
if you saved enough through the heating season, go to a convention, vacation
and take it easy. I hate perspiring, when I tune.
For those of you that do pitch raises every time, you would love the weather
up here, a guaranteed pitch raise charge every time you tune, if you do it
in the Summer, because when the heat comes on in September, the piano is
sure to be a way out.
Mind you that is just my take on it.
Remember it is mostly a rural clientele.
Think minimum wage.
They have to work a day or more to pay for a tuning, and that is not taking
the income tax into consideration.
Oh yes they also have to pay an extra 14% for my work, labour and parts.
This may not work for everyone, but it works for me.
The cost of living is less here too. I think a new 3 bedroom bungalow, is
around $150K. Remember not city.
I guess that it is not strictly just Winter, I taper off the end of May, and
start again in September.
John M. Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada
jrpiano at win.eastlink.ca