Paid for Pitch Raises?

piannaman at aol.com piannaman at aol.com
Tue Feb 13 08:12:33 MST 2007

I agree with the two of you...but...when I tune for an elderly person who's on a fixed income, or a family that bought a junky little spinet for their child that's already more than they can afford and the kid REALLY wants to play, I use the sliding scale.  I might spend two hours to fix things that have been untended for years, pitch raise it, and tune it, then charge less than my standard 1 1/2 hour fee.  I see it as a way of giving to a worthy cause:  music in the lives of people who are struggling to afford it.

At the other end of the spectrum, you have wealthy clients who own a Steinway or a Mason because of its investment value.  It sits in the corner of the 2,000 square foot living room and gets serviced more often than it gets played (which isn't much).  Those folks get the benefit of paying full pop.

Then there are stores, which is where this discussion originated.  You HAVE to get paid for the work you do.  You HAVE to have a working agreement with the dealer before you put hammer to pin.  You HAVE to defend your right to earn a good living, because many of them won't give you anything if you don't ask for it.  You'll find yourself putting gluing little pieces back onto decaying rentals, pitch raising new instruments, reattaching hammers to shanks, etc. as part of your "tunings."

If you're going to do dealer work, you'll get a wealth of experience and good referrals.  But you need to get paid for the work you do.  Hourly rates are the way to go.

Dave Stahl