Aschinger ?

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Wed Feb 14 05:10:14 MST 2007

I have just acquired a small grand piano with the name Aschinger
inlaid in brass into the fall.  This is one of the nicest baby grands
I have ever come across.  It has among other things

o  an 85 note keyboard in first grade ivory
o  an excellent action, pictured below, not marked with maker's name
o  very finely made bass strings
o  a pretty rosewood case with satinwood banding and twin legs

It is altogether a very well-made piano and a pleasure to work on,
but in more than 30 years in the trade I have never come across the
name Aschinger and can find no reference to it on the WWW except that
there was a well-known chain of beer-houses in Berlin in the early
part of the century by the name of Aschinger.

One or two signs suggest to me that it was made in Czechoslovakia :
the keyboard is signed with a Czech surname; a few of the front
punchings are from printed paper and the writing is in Czech.

Does anyone know the origin of this piano?

JD