etd's and ears

John Formsma formsma at gmail.com
Wed Feb 14 07:19:12 MST 2007

I thought we just finished beating this horse.  Naaaayyy! it's still alive!
<G>

Ric B's wrote some really good stuff. We are definitely talking about levels
beyond the basics of tuning.

Press PLAY:

"Personally, I feel more in control of things when I'm tuning aurally.
(Mainly because it makes me listen to all of the piano, and not mainly at
the unison level. Say, if there's an error with the dbl octave that can be
traced back to the temperament with a fifth that narrowed as you tuned
upward. Then you can correct it and move on.) With an ETD, I get so
incredibly lazy it's not funny...and my brain/ears starts losing pitch
sensitivity.

But, today's ETDs will definitely give a more than acceptable tuning. So,
nearly everyone will be happy."

STOP, REWIND...OK, I'm ready for the next go-round when it comes up. <g>

I do, however, believe that all piano tuners should make every effort
improve their listening skills. It's a great feeling to be able to ride the
wave of an octave and say, "Ahh...that's good" and to know that you know
what you're talking about

JF