etd's and ears

Ron Koval drwoodwind at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 14 14:04:18 MST 2007

>From David Anderson:
">
>"But, today's ETDs will definitely give a more than acceptable  tuning. So,
>nearly everyone will be happy."

>Except the tuner, who's trying to see himself/herself as an artisan,  a
>craftsperson, and knows that he/she just phoned it in."

David, while I applaud the passion for your craft, I am insulted by the tone
you take for a whole group of technicians that have chosen a different path
from yours.  Your statement makes it sound like aurally finding the tuning
is the only art in tuning.  How about placing that tuning on a piano so it
stays?  How about shaping the unisons?  Getting a machine and turning it on
is only the starting point to using it to the fullest potential.

>"The tunings  I've heard that were strictly by looking at the wheel or the
>dial or  whatever---to me---suck. Average. Brittle-sounding."

Fair enough... Look me up next time you come to Chicago and I'll let you
hear something that may change your mind.  Just as there are some aural only
folks that push the boundaries of the craft, there exist some technicians
committed to pushing the boundaries of tuning using etd's.  It isn't merely
trying to follow the path of aural tuning, but finding new paths that lead
to higher level tunings.

I'll try not to denigrate your chosen path...  please don't denigrate mine.

Ron Koval
Chicagoland