voicing learning curve

ed miller edmiller3 at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 14 14:27:37 MST 2007

Hi Julia,

Thanks for your input on voicing.

I was interested to hear that you've been in business 3.5 years (I assume
that means you've been learning the trade about that amount of time as
well). As I said stated in the voicing question I posed to the List, I have
been at this piano trade for about 2 years- including formal education, an
apprenticeship and a handful of clients. Since you are relatively new to
this business as well, I wonder if you wouldn't mind sharing some insight
with me about your experience....

I am about to take more aggressive action to gain a clientele. How did you
go about this in the very beginning (the stage where you were skillful
enough to start offering your services, but not so skilled that you were as
competant as many other piano technicians)? I worry about things, such as:
that it still takes too long for me to do a tuning, that I'll be confronted
with many situations where I cannot adequately solve a problem, that if I
charge to little for my services now it will be difficult to raise them at
the fast rate that my skills are increasing, among other worries...

I wonder if you could share your thoughts on this awkward stage that seems
to be a "catch 22", whereby I'm barely skilled enough to work on other
peoples pianos- but the only way I can be skilled  enough is to work on
other peoples piano.

Thanks for your input.
Ed