etd's and ears

John Formsma formsma at gmail.com
Wed Feb 14 10:39:42 MST 2007

Yeah, that's true, but there is also the objective reality of having to make
a living. ETDs definitely ease that burden for some. I think it comes down
to a choice based on personality. People like you value excellence so much
that they will do anything and everything they can to attain perfection.
Others, perhaps more business-savvy, might look at it objectively and say,
"This ETD will fully satisfy 95% of all pianists in the world. Therefore,
I'm going to use it. It will increase my bottom line, and make my life
easier."

I can see validity in both sides, yet I tend toward the perfection side like
you.

JF